Saturday, December 27, 2008

A father's love

On a cloudless, moon-lit night back in August I strolled about our property; drinking in the sights, scents, and sounds of the evening. It had been a difficult day at work and my responsibilities at home left me feeling completely drained. By the time the kids were all tucked in for the night I felt as though I had nothing left in the tank. It's been my custom to find a quiet corner somewhere in my universe at least once a day to pray & meditate on God's word. Weather permitting; one of my favorite haunts is the stand of aspen trees in the back corner of our property. Two of those 60 foot tall specimens serve as anchoring points for a rope hammock. During the day, it's a shady retreat and at night when the moon is full it's easy to lay on my back, look up through the wooded canopy and imagine I'm a hundred miles from the nearest town. That night, my hammock beckoned me and I had to answer its call!
The old weathered ropes squeaked and groaned as I maneuvered myself into a comfortable position; settling in for some quiet reflection and prayer. Catching the light of the moon, the smooth bark of the upper trunks and limbs of the aspens took on a bluish hue; their leaves trembling in the summer breeze completed the striking scene as I looked skyward. My heart was heavy and my prayer was simple, "Heavenly Father, I don't understand; I need You!"
A few nights ago our house was quiet. Only I was yet awake; Melanie and the children had been in bed for hours. I was up late, working on the family budget and giving thought to some business decisions that needed to be made soon. Then the stillness was broken by a whimper. My youngest daughter, Jenna had awakened and was calling out to me from her darkened room. Immediately all other concerns were set aside as I strode up the stairs and opened her door. Jenna blinked her eyes as the light from the hallway fell across her face. Without delay, I gathered her up into my arms and held her close. "It's OK" I whispered in her ear as I wiped the tears from her eyes, "Daddy's here!" I rocked her gently 'til sleep once again overcame her little eyelids and I tucked her back into bed. Whatever terror had seized her dreams had been vanquished and all was well in her world again! While I stood over her, I remembered a moon-lit night a couple of months earlier.
It's funny isn't it; how God often speaks through the voice of a child? We get so tightly wound around the daily struggles and concerns which permeate our lives. In the heat of our battles, we forget that our Heavenly Father loves us more perfectly than we could ever love our own children!

1 comment:

  1. "How deep the Father’s love for us,
    how vast beyond all measure
    that He should give His only Son
    to make a wretch His treasure."

    Daddy's are like that...strong, able to comfort and allay our fears, holding us close when we're troubled or lonely. Always ready to lift us up in arms of love.

    ReplyDelete