I suspect I'm not unique in this; that over the years as I've read through the scriptures, certain characters emerged from the pages as people I could identify with. Their triumphs and their failures recorded for all the ages; folks like you and I can, through ancient text and the Holy Spirit, see our own lives illustrated in many of the men and women of old. For me, a number of them come to mind as kindred spirits but none more so than Peter. His impetuous and sometimes impertinent behavior, his fiery temper, and even his willingness to throw his legs over the side of a boat in an attempt to walk on troubled waters; they're all traits that are manifest in me to some degree. As I close out the story I've been telling, it's that fiery temper which comes into focus.
2008 has been a very difficult year for our family business; the worst ever. As I write these words, I have no great confidence that our company will survive. As you're aware, the entire world has been plunged into economic uncertainty and chaos. In Michigan, we've been languishing through such a business environment for a few years now. Consequently, it has been no small struggle to meet payroll, pay the taxes, stay current with our suppliers and compete with hungry rivals bidding for the same contracts we are. It is in this climate that my story unfolds.
I believe it was sometime in August that I came home from the office to my family, unable to shake off the stress and anger that had been building inside me for a number of days. We were facing yet another pay-less payday and I wasn't sure when we'd be able to cut the checks this time. There was enough money in our receivables to get by but a handful of our clients were having cash flow problems of their own. Several of our invoices had aged to well over ninety days so, driven by an urgent need, I pressed hard for payment. That evening, my children didn't have their daddy nor my wife, her husband. There was only this despondent fellow sitting silently through dinner, impatiently barking at the slightest annoyance and methodically carrying out the few remaining duties of the day. After they had all gone to bed that evening he went out for a long walk in the surrounding countryside.
The gusting winds and light rain that evening reflected my mood as I ambled along in the darkness. I began filing a grievance with the only One I could; pouring out before the Lord my anger and contempt for one client in particular. What was this; was I actually calling for God's wrath upon someone? I had never presumed to do such a thing before. What was I becoming? I returned home an hour or so later feeling cold and dampened; as if the rain had soaked through my clothes right down into my soul. The house was quiet; just me alone with my thoughts. Recalling the day's events; I had resorted to harsh words during the course of my dealings earlier that afternoon.
Back in June, we had completed the next phase of a large and lengthy project for an old client of ours; a man with buildings, land, equipment, a beautiful home, and lots of expensive toys. When I tell you he has an RV worth more than my house, I'm not exaggerating! A payment from him had been expected some two months prior. All attempts to contact him went unanswered. I was perplexed, this wasn't typical of him. Finally, having reached the limit of my grace, I called his office; summoning my sternest, most intimidating voice I spoke with his secretary. I said to her in no uncertain terms that I would be driving over there the next morning and would not be leaving without a check in my hand!
Having slept very little after my walk in the rain, I drove to my office with a cloud still hovering over my head. I wasn't at my desk very long when my phone rang; I had finally gotten the man's attention! However, this was not the conversation I was expecting. As he spoke, all contentiousness left me; a lump formed in my throat. He began to tell of his troubles at home. His marriage crumbling and his family coming apart at the seams; everything else in his life, including his business, was set aside. He had become completely disengaged from all other concerns. What he said next completely took me by surprise. "Things have taken a turn for the better since I gave my life to Jesus Christ" he said. I glanced across the room and caught my Dad's eye; "wow" I silently mouthed the words to him as I continued to listen. We talked on the phone for an hour and a half; little of that conversation had anything to do with the matter that had consumed my thoughts the night before. Afterward, I returned the telephone handset to its cradle and leaned back in my chair. This time I said it audibly, "wow!" I felt like such a stooge! I had handled this situation with all the tact and diplomacy of Moe Howard!
All levity aside, let me suggest one more analogous angle; the Peter angle. Having spent the previous night in the Garden of Gethsemane; dozing-off while Jesus prayed, he responded to a threat by wielding his sword. Jesus; facing extreme torture and death, never deviated from His mission. Peter struck and severely injured a servant; Jesus healed him.
Like Peter, I was focused on adversity; on a conflict with men. Forgetting who I am in Christ and forsaking my mission, I lashed-out and lifted my voice to God in angry protest. He answered me the very next day having healed the man whose ear I had severed!
I'm pleased to report that this was a genuine conversion experience and he continues to grow in knowledge and faith. His marriage is on the mend! Wow!
Please read Matt 6: 19-34
2008 has been a very difficult year for our family business; the worst ever. As I write these words, I have no great confidence that our company will survive. As you're aware, the entire world has been plunged into economic uncertainty and chaos. In Michigan, we've been languishing through such a business environment for a few years now. Consequently, it has been no small struggle to meet payroll, pay the taxes, stay current with our suppliers and compete with hungry rivals bidding for the same contracts we are. It is in this climate that my story unfolds.
I believe it was sometime in August that I came home from the office to my family, unable to shake off the stress and anger that had been building inside me for a number of days. We were facing yet another pay-less payday and I wasn't sure when we'd be able to cut the checks this time. There was enough money in our receivables to get by but a handful of our clients were having cash flow problems of their own. Several of our invoices had aged to well over ninety days so, driven by an urgent need, I pressed hard for payment. That evening, my children didn't have their daddy nor my wife, her husband. There was only this despondent fellow sitting silently through dinner, impatiently barking at the slightest annoyance and methodically carrying out the few remaining duties of the day. After they had all gone to bed that evening he went out for a long walk in the surrounding countryside.
The gusting winds and light rain that evening reflected my mood as I ambled along in the darkness. I began filing a grievance with the only One I could; pouring out before the Lord my anger and contempt for one client in particular. What was this; was I actually calling for God's wrath upon someone? I had never presumed to do such a thing before. What was I becoming? I returned home an hour or so later feeling cold and dampened; as if the rain had soaked through my clothes right down into my soul. The house was quiet; just me alone with my thoughts. Recalling the day's events; I had resorted to harsh words during the course of my dealings earlier that afternoon.
Back in June, we had completed the next phase of a large and lengthy project for an old client of ours; a man with buildings, land, equipment, a beautiful home, and lots of expensive toys. When I tell you he has an RV worth more than my house, I'm not exaggerating! A payment from him had been expected some two months prior. All attempts to contact him went unanswered. I was perplexed, this wasn't typical of him. Finally, having reached the limit of my grace, I called his office; summoning my sternest, most intimidating voice I spoke with his secretary. I said to her in no uncertain terms that I would be driving over there the next morning and would not be leaving without a check in my hand!
Having slept very little after my walk in the rain, I drove to my office with a cloud still hovering over my head. I wasn't at my desk very long when my phone rang; I had finally gotten the man's attention! However, this was not the conversation I was expecting. As he spoke, all contentiousness left me; a lump formed in my throat. He began to tell of his troubles at home. His marriage crumbling and his family coming apart at the seams; everything else in his life, including his business, was set aside. He had become completely disengaged from all other concerns. What he said next completely took me by surprise. "Things have taken a turn for the better since I gave my life to Jesus Christ" he said. I glanced across the room and caught my Dad's eye; "wow" I silently mouthed the words to him as I continued to listen. We talked on the phone for an hour and a half; little of that conversation had anything to do with the matter that had consumed my thoughts the night before. Afterward, I returned the telephone handset to its cradle and leaned back in my chair. This time I said it audibly, "wow!" I felt like such a stooge! I had handled this situation with all the tact and diplomacy of Moe Howard!
All levity aside, let me suggest one more analogous angle; the Peter angle. Having spent the previous night in the Garden of Gethsemane; dozing-off while Jesus prayed, he responded to a threat by wielding his sword. Jesus; facing extreme torture and death, never deviated from His mission. Peter struck and severely injured a servant; Jesus healed him.
Like Peter, I was focused on adversity; on a conflict with men. Forgetting who I am in Christ and forsaking my mission, I lashed-out and lifted my voice to God in angry protest. He answered me the very next day having healed the man whose ear I had severed!
I'm pleased to report that this was a genuine conversion experience and he continues to grow in knowledge and faith. His marriage is on the mend! Wow!
Please read Matt 6: 19-34

Thanks for sharing, Scott. How encouraging. Last year was a difficult one for Lynette and me too (not financially though), probably the most painful year we have ever experienced. But God's grace is sufficient, and in the last two weeks has done some miracles in bringing help and healing in an impossible situation.
ReplyDeleteWOW~ it could be said to mean "walk on water". Keep it up!!
ReplyDeleteWOW...even if you didn't get the monetary compensation this would be "worth it all". It's a "God-Thing"...His ways are higher than our ways!
ReplyDeleteP.S. You WILL get your money:-)
We did, indeed receive payment in full shortly thereafter. As a matter of fact,we're scheduled to complete the project at his facility in a couple of weeks! He and I have been trying to get together for lunch but our schedules haven't meshed as of yet; we live some 45 minutes from each other. When we do, perhaps I'll have an up-date on this story.
ReplyDelete