PREVIOUSLY ON DADDY'S HOME:
...At that point, the trail took me through a densely wooded plateau. Both sides of the path were lined with thick undergrowth and scrubby tangle wood. I hadn't taken but a step or two when I heard a twig break - then another. I froze in my tracks. Just a few yards ahead emerged from the brush a very large, dark and hairy form!
While on a hike, it's usually good practice to make a little noise as you walk the trail. If you tread lightly without making a sound, you might just stealthily happen upon a creature that doesn't take too kindly to surprises! Be it something docile such as a deer - well, that's usually a pleasant encounter but there may be other things lurking nearby; things best viewed from a distance! When in an area likely to conceal such other things, I'm in the habit of rapping my walking stick against a tree trunk or giving a loud cough every few minutes to give fair warning of my presence.
Now as I was saying, I had found myself a bit disoriented on my hike that day. I can't remember for sure but I'd guess that while I was getting my bearings and re-orienting myself to the trail-map, I had stood still or quietly walked a short distance searching for land-marks for the better part of ten minutes - maybe more. At any rate, it was apparently plenty of time for something to happen upon my position completely unaware of my presence!
I stood motionless as I observed the biggest black bear I'd ever seen! Male black bears can get as big as 600 pounds. Being as close as I was, I had no trouble sizing-up the big fella; easily three times my weight so, yeah - I'd say he was up there in that range! That was most definitely not the time for me to cough! I remained perfectly still as "Smoky" lumbered across the trail and disappeared into the brambles on the other side. Thankfully, he never turned his head; never even saw me. Yet, this presented me with another dilemma: Where had he gone? I had no way of knowing whether he still lingered near the trail or had maintained his course through the scrub. I strained my ears but heard nothing but the slight breeze rustling the leaves overhead. The sun had dipped below the ridge line to my west and the forest floor was quickly darkening. "I don't have time for this" I thought as the damp, cool of dusk descended upon me. I glanced around; noting several trees I might need to shimmy-up in a hurry. I don't recall for sure but I think it had been about five minutes since I'd seen the bear when I decided to cautiously move forward.
As I approached the spot where the bear crossed, my already quickened pulse raced even more as I detected some movement in the brush. I found my reverse gear and slowly backed-up. Once again, a figure emerged from the undergrowth - no, two figures this time. These were wearing trail-packs! The hikers were following the very same game-trail that the bear had been traveling only minutes before.
Coming along side my fellow travelers I asked them, "did you guys happen to encounter anything a few minutes ago - like maybe a bear?" They hadn't seen a thing. I thought it strange because from where I'd been standing, those fellas should have come face-to-face with it! I figure the bear probably had seen, heard, or smelled them first and altered his course to avoid a close encounter with people - their usual behavior.
At any rate, that game-trail turned out to be more or less a "b-line" from my position straight to the parking lot. Apparently, it was well traveled by ol' Smokey and his friends as they frequented the picnic pavilion looking for food scraps. How convenient for me as I was able to make up some valuable time; shaving a significant distance off the remainder of my hike. When I had set out that morning, the grass was still wet with dew. Hungry and spent, I emerged from the darkened woods. Having completed the loop; I had returned - and so had the dew. The pale hues of dusk enveloped the park and in the remaining light, I spied a most welcome vision at the far end of the public access - my truck! As I made my way across the dampened turf, I passed an over-turned waste can; its contents had been scattered over the grassy slope near the pavilion. "The bears around here sure are well-fed" I thought, "no wonder he's grown so big!"
Closing the door, I settled into my seat. The quiet surround of my truck's cab was in stark contrast to the excitement of the day. I let out a sigh as the engine roared to life. Reflecting on my little adventure, I put the vehicle in gear and headed home; behind me, a six hundred pound bear; before me, a cold dinner and some explaining to my worried wife.
Now as I was saying, I had found myself a bit disoriented on my hike that day. I can't remember for sure but I'd guess that while I was getting my bearings and re-orienting myself to the trail-map, I had stood still or quietly walked a short distance searching for land-marks for the better part of ten minutes - maybe more. At any rate, it was apparently plenty of time for something to happen upon my position completely unaware of my presence!
I stood motionless as I observed the biggest black bear I'd ever seen! Male black bears can get as big as 600 pounds. Being as close as I was, I had no trouble sizing-up the big fella; easily three times my weight so, yeah - I'd say he was up there in that range! That was most definitely not the time for me to cough! I remained perfectly still as "Smoky" lumbered across the trail and disappeared into the brambles on the other side. Thankfully, he never turned his head; never even saw me. Yet, this presented me with another dilemma: Where had he gone? I had no way of knowing whether he still lingered near the trail or had maintained his course through the scrub. I strained my ears but heard nothing but the slight breeze rustling the leaves overhead. The sun had dipped below the ridge line to my west and the forest floor was quickly darkening. "I don't have time for this" I thought as the damp, cool of dusk descended upon me. I glanced around; noting several trees I might need to shimmy-up in a hurry. I don't recall for sure but I think it had been about five minutes since I'd seen the bear when I decided to cautiously move forward.
As I approached the spot where the bear crossed, my already quickened pulse raced even more as I detected some movement in the brush. I found my reverse gear and slowly backed-up. Once again, a figure emerged from the undergrowth - no, two figures this time. These were wearing trail-packs! The hikers were following the very same game-trail that the bear had been traveling only minutes before.
Coming along side my fellow travelers I asked them, "did you guys happen to encounter anything a few minutes ago - like maybe a bear?" They hadn't seen a thing. I thought it strange because from where I'd been standing, those fellas should have come face-to-face with it! I figure the bear probably had seen, heard, or smelled them first and altered his course to avoid a close encounter with people - their usual behavior.
At any rate, that game-trail turned out to be more or less a "b-line" from my position straight to the parking lot. Apparently, it was well traveled by ol' Smokey and his friends as they frequented the picnic pavilion looking for food scraps. How convenient for me as I was able to make up some valuable time; shaving a significant distance off the remainder of my hike. When I had set out that morning, the grass was still wet with dew. Hungry and spent, I emerged from the darkened woods. Having completed the loop; I had returned - and so had the dew. The pale hues of dusk enveloped the park and in the remaining light, I spied a most welcome vision at the far end of the public access - my truck! As I made my way across the dampened turf, I passed an over-turned waste can; its contents had been scattered over the grassy slope near the pavilion. "The bears around here sure are well-fed" I thought, "no wonder he's grown so big!"
Closing the door, I settled into my seat. The quiet surround of my truck's cab was in stark contrast to the excitement of the day. I let out a sigh as the engine roared to life. Reflecting on my little adventure, I put the vehicle in gear and headed home; behind me, a six hundred pound bear; before me, a cold dinner and some explaining to my worried wife.
I searched the web for a photo that most closely
resembles the bear I saw that day. This one best
fits my memory of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment