Thursday, February 12, 2009

Trail Marker - Part 1



Anyone who knows me can vouch for this: I'm an outdoorsy kinda guy; far more at home deep in the woods than in a crowded shopping mall or corporate board-room. I love to grab my walking stick, a bag of trail-mix, and water bottle; heading out into the quiet solitude of the wild. I place great value on the times I'm able to steal away for awhile; putting some distance between me and the noise that normally surrounds me. Ya know what? I'm in good company - even Jesus sought out such retreats from time to time.
In the forest, we can easily locate the boundaries of where we're familiar; where we've been before. At that point, we choose whether or not to venture on a little further. For some, that's a few feet beyond the parking lot; others might have something just a bit more adventurous in mind. Me - I'm the adventurous sort; the trail I may have walked yesterday only serves to lead me to one yet to be discovered!
It was back in 2000 and we were visiting Melanie's family in Southwestern Pennsylvania. When I visit that region, I find it nearly irresistible - that voice beckoning from the wooded slopes of the Allegheny Mountains. Its call resonates deep within me and I can hardly wait to lace-up my boots and find a good trail (I hope I'm not sounding like some New Age, tree-hugging weirdo here. Put simply, I love to immerse myself in that sort of geography and I cherish every opportunity I get to do so!)
It was a beautiful sunny day and Melanie was eager to spend it catching up with her mother and showing off our three little ones. I was perusing through some local road maps - scratching my head I wondered, "Now where was that trail-head; I'm pretty sure it's along this road..."
The kids were giggling and enjoying their reunion with Grandma while I gave my wife a peck on the cheek. "Have a good day with Mom - don't expect me 'til dinner" I said as I walked toward my pickup truck with a bounce in my step. After a short drive through the hilly countryside, I arrived at my destination. The hollow crunching sound of the gravel beneath my tires ground to halt as I parked in the nearly deserted lot. "Perfect!" I thought, "Hardly anyone else here today - the trail is mine!" I was there to get away from the familiar surroundings of my world. I hoped to spend the entire day without encountering another soul. The only conversation I was interested in was with my Heavenly Father. Securing a trail map from the information stand I stood still for a few moments to get my bearings. I selected the route I'd be following and noted the color of the trail markers that would guide me along the five-mile loop. There were longer trails but this was to be a leisurely pace and I did say I'd be home for dinner. Having oriented myself, I began my trek through the rugged terrain.
The trail I was on meanders along ridge lines, crosses valleys, and traverses numerous slopes which are strewn with moss-covered boulders - some as big as houses. I was in awe of the natural beauty and wondrous views that surrounded me. I strolled along at a steady yet comfortable pace; praying, listening, meditating, and drinking in the moment. As I looked up into the wooded canopy above, I began to sing aloud one of my favorite hymns; one I've known from my youth:

"O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: 'My God, how great Thou art!'

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!"
Several hours into my hike, I noticed something - the trail markers no longer agreed with my trail map. At some point, I had deviated from my intended course. I now found myself on a much longer loop. A cold sweat broke out out on my brow; instead of being on schedule to exit the woods in time to get back for dinner, I was facing the very real possibility of having to bed down for the night in a lean-to shelter. "If only I had a compass", I thought. "Then I could walk a 'b-line' straight back to the parking lot". It would've been quicker than the circuitous route the trail follows. "Bad idea" I mumbled; imagining myself crawling out of the woods a few days later with a scraggly beard and twigs in my hair!
After studying the map, I was reasonably sure where I was. The Sun was beginning to set; giving me a rough indication of west. I knew if I back-tracked, I'd never make it out before dark but if I continued in the direction I had been traveling, I might just make it if I quickened my pace. Having resolved that question, I pocketed the map, washed down a handful of trail mix with a swig of water and resumed my hike.
At that point, the trail took me through a densely wooded plateau. Both sides of the path were lined with thick undergrowth and scrubby tangle wood. I hadn't taken but a step or two when I heard a twig break - then another. I froze in my tracks. Just a few yards ahead emerged from the brush a very large, dark and hairy form!
To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment