Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Journey - Part 2

This is #2 of a nine-part series.
If you'd like to skip to a different chapter,

Just click on the My Journey series
under LABELS (Top of the page, on the right side of your screen).


March 6, 2008
All eight of our kids together for the first time.
Little new-born Nathan was just a day old. One month from today we'll celebrate Nate's first birthday!

The family business remains in the intensive care unit; undergoing some radical therapy to try and stabilize it. I spent some of my day today outside the office. It felt good to get out of there for a couple of hours - diagnosing and repairing a minor electrical issue for a new client of ours. The balance of the day was spent reconciling accounts, chasing down a couple of leads, chasing down a couple of customers with past-due invoices, and trying to figure out how to meet payroll next week.
I also spent some time in my office with Brandon, one of the employees we laid-off yesterday; just a little shop-talk, business prospects, issues pertaining to his leaving - that sort of thing. It was also my opportunity to let him know how much I had appreciated his efforts these past months. As we spoke, I stole a quick glance over his shoulder. Hanging on the wall just beyond him was the picture of his new-born baby boy; e-mailed to me just a little over a year ago by the proud new father. Little Evan was the first child born to he and his wife, Stacy. I posted a copy of the little fella in our office for everyone to see and it's been there since. Now, it's a different season; nothing cheerful to hang on the wall. After an awkward silence, I thought briefly about discussing matters of faith but we'd been there before. So, with a sadness in my heart, I walked him to his car unable to offer any optimistic words with regards to his position. Outside, the air was frigid and a light snow had begun to fall. Brandon's pick-up truck sat idling in the drive; waiting in the warm cab were Stacy along with Evan, asleep in his car-seat.
After some brief conversation, we said our goodbyes and I returned to my desk feeling a deep concern for their young family. I don't know how unbelievers cope with such adversity. My brother and I have both tried to share our faith with Brandon and others who've worked for us. There's such a hardness of heart with some folks. I hope that they'll see in me an unwavering faith as we sail through these perilous waters. I suppose if a father of eight can remain steadfast in his faith; persevering through difficulties such as these, then perhaps a father of one might feel compelled to seek such assurance in his own life. Such is my prayer for him or maybe others who might providentially stumble upon these words of mine.

God, preserve in me such a faith that You may be glorified -Amen.

I've had to navigate through waters like this before. In My Journey - Part 3, you'll be reading one of my personal journal entries from January, 1998 - Over 11 years ago.



My family and I the day after Thanksgiving 2008.
We were out hunting for our Christmas tree
at a nearby tree farm.

2 comments:

  1. I, for one, am one who has "providentially stumbled" upon your words. I hope you don't mind me eavesdropping on your life. I will occassionally check in to see how you, a man of family and faith navigate the difficult economic and cultural waters of our time.

    You see my lot, of course, is different than yours. My children are but two and they are now, mostly, independent adults. I also am blessed with what I trust is a secure job and dependable income. This makes it difficult to feel the full effects of today's economic realities that so many others are facing. Hopefully your words will give me some insight that I can use to better minister to other men and boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    Thanks for visiting my site. You're a most welcome guest any time! Please do forward a link to this blog to anyone you think might be blessed by it. My hope is that God will use me to touch others lives through honest and open communication. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.
    God bless you & the guys you're ministering to/with.

    ReplyDelete